Allergists can Help People to Recover from the Nasty Effects of Bee Stings

Bees are the type of insect that some people like, and some people hate. While bees are important for agriculture, making honey and helping plant life to grow; they are also annoying creatures. They can intrude on picnics, disrupt outdoor activities and even cause some people to become very ill if they get stung. Bee stings are no fun. This is especially true for people who have an allergic reaction to their stingers. Allergists can help people to recover from the nasty effects of bee stings. Keep reading to find out how they can perform service.

Most bees have a stinger that ranges in size between 1.5 mm to 3 mm long. When a person’s skin is penetrated by a stinger, it can either detach from a bee’s body or the bee can sting a person without it dislodging. This is important to know. Many people falsely assume that a bee can only sting a person once and they will die shortly after. This is only partially true.

A person or animal must have extremely thick skin to cause a bee’s stinger to dislodge. Wikipedia explains that a person’s skin must be thin enough for a bee to prick them without losing their stinger. Never forget that bee’s also release a pheromone in the air that signal other bees to attack once they start the stinging process. So, if one stings you; get out of the area so other bees won’t try to attack you as well.

Once a bee decides to sting a person, they will either detach their stinger into their skin or they will repeatedly penetrate their stinger into a person’s flesh. When a stinger enters a person’s body, a venom called apitoxin will be released with it. This substance is designed to cause inflammation. Many people who get stung by a bee not only react to the pain, they also react to the apitoxin.

When a person’s body reacts to this substance it undergoes a process called anaphylaxis. The word anaphylaxis stands for severe allergic reaction. Keep in mind that anaphylaxis is a rare condition. Medicinenet points out that only 0.8% of all bee stings produce these kinds of results in people. The truth is that only 3% of the population has a real allergic reaction to bee stings. Most people don’t like getting stung and they tend to overreact to bee stings as if they are truly life threatening. For most people, bee stings are extremely painful. Bee sting allergic reaction oak brook il has trained allergists that can help with this type of problem.

Allergists or immunologists are trained medical professionals who deal with allergies, asthma and other conditions such as immunologic disorders. When it comes to bee stings, these medical professionals state that you can treat an allergic bee sting by removing the stinger and using an epinephrine injector to combat the effects of the venom. If you do not have one available, then you will need to call 911 to get a person to an emergency room to receive help. Some allergist offices can even treat bee stings on site if a person does not have time to make it to a hospital. Be sting allergies can be effectively managed with the right care and understanding.